Saturday, April 9, 2011

Year 2: Week 3

I got it into my head that I felt like doing bowls this week. I started with some really large ones- think popcorn bowl size. I'm also on a bit of an insects kick with plans for butterflies and dragonflies.

I did this one yesterday. Really, the floral pattern is just one that I think is fun, but you could call it a dandelion or a dahlia.




close up of one of the flowers

For the second one, I decided to give you progress shots since I don't think I've ever really done that before. This is what my painting process looks like for a bumblebee bowl:



This is called a pin tool, and it's actual purpose is in ceramics and sculpture, but i use it for scratching. The yellow bit on the right is some rubber that i molded to my hand to cushion the pin tool




This how all of my glasses start- big black silhouettes without detail



Definitely no detail




So this is how the bottom both bowls started out- a big blacked out circle. Here I'm scratching in honeycomb shapes.


And this is how it ends up. Not at all what you were expecting, right?


Top view of the bottom of the bowl

Both of these bowls still need some cleanup and clearcoating, but I did the bee one tonight and it took about 3 hours so my hand isn't too happy with me. They'll be fun for summer.




Spoiler: Mini versions of these may be going into my Pay It Forward packages.

1 comment:

  1. As a recipient of one of those packages---YAY! I was just thinking those bowls would be perfect for summer. Fruit salad in a bumblebee bowl would look awesome at a picnic!

    ReplyDelete