Saturday, March 26, 2011

Year 2: Week 1

And so The Xarata Project continues...with RULES!!! lol. It should come as no surprise that having given myself rules, I feel like making something outside those rules. However, I made the rules and I'm going to play by them so first- Glass!

This is my very first pilsner glass. Scratchglass Tree Series: Pilsner. I chose the tree bark design set because the very cool thing about this design is that if you fill the glass with a dark beer, naturally the whole glass looks black. As you drink it, the lines appear in the glass which is really pretty fun to look at. This particular design has never really photographed particularly well, but here you are:



This picture looks funny because the light from the room and the flash shined through the glass and created reflections of the opposite sides of the glass, but you get the idea.
  So...if I didn't feel like working with glass or metal, what did I feel like making? DRESSES!!! I've been looking for springtime dresses and you know what, they just aren't out there right now- you can find the same 3 bohemian style dresses in every store between 2 racks and that's it. You can get swimsuits and formalwear, but springtime dresses are apparently out. So I decided to make them. Yesterday I went to JoAnn Fabrics (and was pleasantly surprised to find it was the first day of their 3-day sale) and bought lots of fabric and a few patterns at $1.99 each. This is the first:
I was going for whimsy in this picture. lol. Note the matching headband.
Doesn't it look like it's straight out of the 50s? Yellow has never really been my color, but it's been so cold and I'm ready for Spring darn it!

2 comments:

  1. Love the dress Sam, you did a great job on it!! I've been rather fed up with the dress selection in stores as well... Hopefully we'll get settled in and I'll be able to tackle making something, but with the way this year is shaping up, that's probably just a fond dream... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute dress Sam! I love the glass you made-- so cool looking! You are a woman of many talents. =)

    ReplyDelete