Friday, May 21, 2010

Week 10

I was inspired this week by the columbine I have in my garden (the photo is not one of mine). I originally started by drawing one. Then i drew in a person behind it and annoyed myself by giving her too much muscle tone and decided i was done drawing. So I got thinking about this thin copper sheeting I bought in a roll maybe 2 years ago and have not done anything with. I decided to make the flower out of metal. I just cut the shapes out with scissors. I did end up curling the back petals too much and i think proportionately they could have been shorter/closer together, but the general idea behind columbine is there. When i finished the flower, gave it a center of metal beads and wired it to a hairpin, it was totally missing something which i decided was a big black feather. I don't have any big black feathers, so i made a big black feather out of the same copper sheeting to complete the look. It's not my favorite piece ever but i do love it as a hair piece- i think it's striking, goes well with brunette hair, and would accent a headband well.
I'm more intrigued by the feather- it's the first time i've ever attempted to make a feather in this manner (scissor cutting thin sheet metal). I think the feather turned out really well and will definitely be making more feathers. I foresee a pen...
On a side note, i maintain now more than ever that this blog is definitely crucial in completing my goal. I really did not want to make anything this week. I've been working a lot and only have off one day this week and i didn't have time to brainstorm. Last week i wanted to make headbands- and it just so happened that we went out to eat (we had giftcards to olive garden) right next to a joann fabrics store and i could go in and buy fabric and make my 20 headbands. Headbands are so simple though that they kind of feel like a copout- i made 20 of them and with the intention of selling them when i make a store, but they're more just a fun thing that i happen to wear and at around $.75 each, why not make some extra and see if other people need headbands that they can custom fit too? But this week...nothing. no ideas- no desire to play. I made myself go draw because of the blog. I was unhappy with the finished drawing and made a piece, because i wasn't posting the drawing to the blog and in turn, learned a new technique that I WANT to explore. I don't know if people actually read my blog (well besides my family), but it doesn't really seem to matter in the long run. The blog is here and I have to post to it. 42 weeks to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment