Sunday, May 29, 2011

Week 10

*As my posts are always at the end of the week, this post is for last week and there will be another for the coming week.

New paint. When I used the microbrushes on the bowls a couple of weeks ago, I mentioned that I had bought some new paint. If you have a little boy or a hubby with a hobby, you may have seen these paints- they're designed for model cars and figurines and microbrushes are made especially for this paint. Today, I played with it. I chose something simple because I really wasn't sure what to expect from it.
It's a lot thinner than I expected- thinner than nail polish even, but it doesn't run which is good. It takes 2-3 coats to get good opacity and the swirls on this glass need another coat. I'm not sure how I feel about that since I use the microbrushes to get a thin fluid line, and having to go over it can mar that effect a great deal (at least until I get the hang of it). It has a really fast drying time, but I THINK it just might have a scratch window, and I'll be playing with that in the coming week just to see it can replace my permanamel paint for scratchglass. I'll also be washing it to see if it has a more predictable permanancy that my permanamel paint which I've had problems with random glass partials washing off. I may try baking some of my paint this week too (I've been reluctant to do that because of the possible cracking involved- putting all that time and effort into a glass just to have it crack- kind of like pottery lol), but I really can't have glasses peeling on me. In general, I've washed all the ones I've sold ahead of time, but some that I've given as gifts have not been so kind.


Also, being friends and family, you may remember that Honey(in an act of blatant misbehavior trying to steal chapstick to chomp as punishment for my not playing with her) broke one of my favorite votive lamps last year. I was furious, but kept the pieces in case I couldn't find a replacement. I couldn't find a replacement. I don't really know why I waited so long to put it back together, other than being really frustrated over it being broken, but this week I sat down with a pile of broken glass and a tube of glue, and put the puzzle back together:

If you look at the one on the left, you can see a large crack line in the middle. To be fair I wasn't 100% successful. The impact point was shattered beyond my capabilities, and I'm fairly certain I'm missing several teeny tiny pieces. In the picture below you can see a one inch x quarter inch hole- which i have facing the wall. All those spidery lines around it are broken pieces that i painstakingly pieced back together.
I'll never be able to put a candle in it again for fear of the glue igniting, but maybe i'll get some battery powered tealights...



My week:
I had a very busy week. When I have busy weeks, I get to the end of them, realize I haven't done a "real" project that week, and face the question of whether or not to skip a week. My posts usually go up around midnight between saturday and sunday. Somehow, I still feel guilty if I don't make something. I suppose I have all of YOU to thank for that. lol. I don't think I'd be good about it on my own...

My little nieces were up all week for their birthday. Actually, they're camping right now and I would love to be there but I have to work. I gave them presents on Monday, had dinner with them on Tuesday, and took them to Hershey Park on Wednesday. I worked Wednesday night, and by Thursday morning I was sick with both really bad allergies and a cold (this is what happens when you share icecream with toddlers). How do I know it is not one or the other? Because allergy medicine (claritin) treats the allergy symptoms (burning eyes, sneezing) and cold medicine(advil cold and sinus) treats the cold symptoms (stuffy nose, nasal inflammation, coughing). Neither treats both and I can't take them both at the same time, but I've opted for the cold medicine since I bothered to buy it from the pharmacy counter (i guess most meds with NSAIDs in them have to go from the pharmacy counter- bother).

Also this week, I made fudge which I was fantastically happy with (so was bob of course). I made it in the microwave with 2 sticks of butter, 2 cans of sweetened condensed milk, and 2 packs of chocolate chips (actually I did a pack of chocolate chips and a pack of peanut butter chips), zapped for 5 minutes, and poured it into an 8x8 pan. Delicious, with a texture somewhere between caramel and fudge. It reminds me very much of my favorite chocolate silk fudge from gertrude hawk and I will be remaking it with darker chocolate. I've decided microwave fudge is a fantastic thing.

I also cleaned my house on the off chance that my neices or any of my family would set foot in it. It was pretty messy so it's pretty lovely having the whole thing clean. Well...except the basement...my workspace is a lost cause. lol. AND Bob bought me flowers :)

It also stormed a lot this week and friday night, Honey and I hung out in the tub- i brought a book. Truth be told I love thunderstorms, but Honey really hates them and since she was clearly torn between hiding and being with mommy, I just gave her a place to hide with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment