Thursday, April 15, 2010

Week 5

It's week 5. I'll admit, I wasn't really feeling the creative bug this week. I started reading a new book and would much rather have spent my whole weekend in bed reading, but there is the blog. That's why the blog exists- to hold myself accountable. It doesn't matter if people read it, it matters that there is an entry for "week 5" other than "well, i didn't feel like it..." So I put down my book and eased myself into it with a sundress. The dress is only half done, so no pictures of that yet. Another "convertible" piece this week. Silver and amethyst cabochons.

It didn't work quite as well as planned though I feel the idea behind it is sound. Normally I make the filigree tendrils in pairs, folding the wire in the middle and going back up and then putting all the folds together. Today, I made each piece individually and folded the end into a tight loop on the back, lining them all up when i soldered them. Unfortunately, the loops weren't quite accommodating for a standard hairpin- which is where i would like to get them to, because when you sometimes use a pin and sometimes don't, you're just asking to lose pieces. I will keep working on it in the future, but for this piece I made a pin.

I'm still considering making a chunkier piece with a clip on the back- like a money clip or metal bookmark, that could slide over a necklace or slide into hair, but i need to buy steelshot for my tumbler first so be able to harden a clip like that. I'll figure it out eventually!!!
just keep swimming...just keep swimming...



No comments:

Post a Comment