Monday, October 3, 2011

Dance Again- A Wedding Lace Project

2 years ago I got married. I made my dress and had a (literal) fairytale wedding:





But one of the memories I will always have is trying on my mother's wedding dress, head to toe lace with a lace train and the way my tiny niece's eyes lit up at the prettiest dress she'd ever seen. I didn't wear my mother's wedding dress, and though i took the train with me with the hopes of incorporating it into my dress somehow, my wedding dress was an original and the vintage lace didn't quite fit. 2 years later, I still have the train of my mom's wedding dress. So earlier this week, I spent 3 hours with a seamripper carefully extracting the lace from that train. Then I made a basic black dress and showcased that lace in a dress that will always have something a little extra special:

I love the idea of giving a wedding dress more than it's 15 minutes of fame. I'm not sure what the rest of the lace will go into, but I love that it can become something else. My little sister is getting married. It's her turn to try on our mother's wedding dress, and if she decides she'd like a little piece of it with her on her wedding day, it just might live on as a garter, a belt, a pair of lace gloves, a snazzy addition to a pair of heels, or a special touch on the edge of her veil. Style changes, but memories can evolve, and it's nice to know that a wedding dress doesn't have to be sealed away for someone else's special day.

I might be interested in a large scale wedding dress project, but I'm not sure many people would be enthused about letting someone cut up their wedding dress :) We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment