Thursday, August 12, 2010

Week 22

I'm thinking about doing some consignment so I made some silver ditties this week. More of the silver lightning/tree root pendants (because i fell in love with the first one i made and well, it's mine. lol) and some ear cuffs.

True to nature, the pendants don't follow any pattern other than squiggly and directional. I don't want them to be identical (where's the fun in that?) They could maybe use some more tendrils- i may go back and amp them up a bit.

The earcuff's were originally going to be earrings (which is why they match), but then i decided that i'm not overly fond of earrings anyway and these would look way cooler going up the curve of the ear than hanging below. I haven't added the cuffs because i ordered some cool patterned half-round wire that i want to use for the cuff, but i think you can imagine them on an ear. I decided to make them cuffs before i actually made them, but also- you can see where i got a little impatient with the torch and *perhaps* melted one of the loops on the one on the right. It doesn't look bad- it just melts into a ball, and i may consider intentionally melting the others on that piece...I have to weigh the benefit against the possibility of accidentally turning the entire piece into a lump of molten metal...

I'm reeeeeally happy with this week's doodle. I did hit a point where i had to tell myself to put it down and stop adding stuff though, and this has been photo shopped to erase two little tendrils where i decided i had gone too far. I intend to color the flower periwinkle blue, but wanted a black and white version on my harddrive.

I also bought myself some birthday presents. The first thing I bought is everything I need to experiment with pewter casting. I've never worked with pewter before but it has a much lower melting temperature than silver and requires a lot less equipment. I bought the melting pot for casting and the kit that came with it including an ingot of lead-free pewter and silicone for mold making. I'm hoping to cast some pewter leaves, we'll see how it goes. I THINK i can also do wax casting in plaster (without a kiln) and i read that you can also cast in sand. It should be fun and hopefully allow me to make some of the things i really miss making.

The second present to myself was a purchase from riogrande for about 30 feet of sterling wire in different gauges, one with a pattern in it, and some beads and findings. I had a gift certificate from my catalogues (when you order a rio grande catalog, they charge you $10 for each one, but give you a gift certificate equal to the amount of catalogues you purchased. I subscribe to 2 so i had a $20 gift certificate) and Bob's mom sent me a $50 visa giftcard so it i got to buy $70 in silver fun. happy birthday to me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment